The dog is unquestionably one of the man’s favorite animals and often referred as our best friend. The bond between humans and dogs are established long ago. In almost all roles they have been found: sheep guardians, man assistant in hunting, protection and finally a dearest pet.
According to Federation Cynologique Internationale, there are approximately 340 dog breeds although they are not everywhere recognized. For example, American Kennel Club currently, recognizes only 167 breeds. The breeds vary according to different factors, from the origin to the behavior. We, people also tend to distinguish them by intelligence. Some scientists research brought the top list of the smartest dog breeds in the world.
Top 10 Dog Breeds
This list is represented in the book The Intelligence of Dogs by psychologist and prizewinning trainer Stanley Coren. It was measured the working intelligence of dogs, based on the lengthy survey of 199 dog obedience judges. The results on the brightest working dogs, who tend to learn a new command in less than five seconds and obey at least 95% of the time were next:
- Border Collie – Anglo-Scottish working breed, mostly for herding sheep. Collie is a medium-sized dog, very energetic and athletic, often considered as the most intelligent. An average lifespan of this breed is 12 years.
- Poodle – Although poodle ancestors are not fully known and clear, the breed is standardized in France. They come in four sizes: standard, medium, miniature, and toy. Considered as a very skillful dog, with intelligence to perform multiple activities. Poodle lifespan is 12 to 15 years.
- German Shepherd – Most famous as a police guard, search and rescue dog, the German shepherd is relatively new breed from the 19th century. Their interpretation of tasks is far better than the other breeds. Besides their intelligence, they are also known as courageous, loyal and confident dogs. They live between 9 to 13 years.
- Golden Retriever – Originally hunting dogs with instinctive love for water, golden retrievers are perhaps on of the favorite pets breed. Often used as a guide for the blind people, it is very generous, friendly dog. Their lifespan is 10 to 12 years.
- Doberman Pinscher – Developed in Germany during the 19th century, Dobermans are highly intelligent and alert dogs, mostly used as protectors. Although someone may consider them as too aggressive, they have a great trainability. Dobermans live 10 to 13 years.
- Shetland Sheepdog – Sheltie is a herding dog with unclear history. It looks like miniature Rough Collie. This breed is particularly friendly with kids and sometimes are used as great therapy dogs. Lifespan is 12 to 13 years.
- Labrador Retriever – this is very pleasant and outgoing breed and often used as a help for blind and autistic people. Labrador is known for its curiosity and hyperactivity, but he is excellent family pet. They live between 10 to 14 years.
- Papillon – this Spaniel type breed is considered as highly intelligent and self-assured canine. As a very playful and adventurous, he is often family pet. Papillon lives between 13 to 15 years.
- Rottweiler – One of the oldest of herding breeds, Rotwiller is a German dog, today most known for its search, rescue and guide abilities. Although they are fearless they have great obedience. Lifespan is 8 to 10 years.
- Australian Cattle Dog – Australian working dog is another great guard dog, known for its aloofness towards strangers. Still, he has high obedience command trainability and on a domestic ground is very playful and affectionate. His lifespan is 13 to 15 years.
Some animal behaviorists suggest that we tend to judge dogs on unfair conditions, so this list based on obedience considers as limited. Either way, the dogs are inseparable human companions.